Weiss Centennial Farm was purchased on August 1, 1853 from the U.S. federal government according to the rules of the Public Act of 1820 which made land available for purchase at a price of $1.25 an acre. Johann Leonard Weiss had emmigrated from Rosstal, Germany the year before. He married Katarina Barbara Knoll aboard ship enroute to the USA. The two traveled to Frankenmuth to join others who had already begun settling in and around Frankenmuth. Weiss purchased 47 acres of land and paid for it with cash, as was required by the Public Act.
His son, Martin, was married in 1890 to Elizabeth Gugel. They took over the farm the same year. Their son, Balthas, married Lydia Bernthal in 1923. They farmed until 1954, raising seven children on the farm.
Balthas' eldest son, Elmer, took over the farm in 1954, when he married Lorna Maurer. They also had seven children. Their son, Roger, married Joanmarie Hoffmann in 1987.
Roger farmed with his dad until 1997, when he and Joanmarie purchased the farm. They are current owners and stewards of the land and livestock. Their adult children, Marguerite and Scott, farm with them. Daughter Lydia is a pastry chef, specializing in German recipes.
We are blessed by God with children who wish to make farming their lifestyle. Like generations before them, much of what Margie and Scott need to know to be good stewards has been learned at the side of parents and grandparents.