The Sanford Centennial Museum began with a school house that was built in 1910. It was added on to in the 1938 by the WPA. In 1970, the town of Sanford celebrated it's centennial and, as part of the celebration, set up a historical exhibit in the empty schoolhouse.
It was so successful, the town decided to make it permanent. The Sanford Historical Society was created to manage the museum. They solicited and received financial support from local residents, the State of Michigan and generous individuals such as Carl and Esther Gerstacker.
The log cabin was the first building to be moved to this site. One by one, the Sanford Historical Society (SHS) has been in charge of moving andreconstructing eight local historic buildings in danger of being torn down
The old schoolhouse is now the main museum building and a home to many antique collections ranging from vintage dining-ware to an authentic saloon.