Trenton Museum is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media
Early records show that on January 18, 1881, a deed was filed for the purchase of a lot situated at the northwest corner of St. Joseph Avenue and Third Street, in the Village of Trenton.
The purchasers of this property were John Moore, a tavern keeper in the village, and his wife Sarah. At the time, the lot was described as extending four rods west from the corner and north to the present alley, a distance of some twelve rods.
The exact date of the building of the home has not been determined, but undoubtedly it was completed within the year. The impressive bracketed style house with its gingerbread trim and green shutters, popular to the period, was greatly admired by the townsfolk.
The tall, narrow front doors facing St. Joseph Avenue opened into the front hall with its graceful stairway leading to the upper story. To the right was the front parlor, which of course was reserved just for company and special occasions. The more commonly used family entrance was by way of the narrow side porch facing Third Street. The porch opened directly into the dining room, with the back parlor just to the left. To the right was the kitchen with a pantry for storage of dishes, food and other provisions.
At the extreme rear of this room was the usual summer kitchen. Nearby were the necessary outbuildings, one of which still remains. This shed, then near the street for easy access by the drayman, was used first for wood storage, then for winter's supply of coal.